Frascati - Seminario
The Seminary of the Diocese of Frascati was formerly located in Piazza del Gesù; the building was destroyed by Allied bombing raids during the Second World War. Henry, Cardinal Duke of York (later King Henry IX and I) founded the seminary in 1770; formerly it had been a Jesuit institution, but Pope Clement XIV transferred it to episcopal jurisdiction.
In an anteroom is a Latin inscription:
HENRICO · CARD · DVCI · EBORAC · NVNCVP
In the same room are kept several of Henry's chasubles which are decorated with his coat-of-arms when Duke of York. All of these are made of cloth of gold or silk, and are embroidered in gold thread with Henry's coat-of-arms. Among these vestments are a red cope, a red chasuble and dalmatic, and a white chasuble. 1 The red and white chasubles were given by Henry to the cathedral, July 19, 1761, the date of his solemn entrance into the diocese and enthronement as bishop of Frascati; they had been given to Henry by Pope Clement XIII three years previously in 1758 to commemorate Henry's consecration as a bishop.
The chapel was dedicated by Henry. The walls are decorated with grisailles. The chapel is now used as a storage room.
On the back wall of the chapel is a painted Latin inscription, surmounted by Henry's coat-of-arms when Duke of York (the Royal Arms differenced with a crescent):
D· O· M·
The Library of the Seminary was established by Henry. Much of the collection still survives; today the Library is still called the Eboracense (Eboracum is the Latin name for York). 2 At one time the Library housed what survived of Henry's personal book collection. In 1944 some 32 volumes from Henry's library were transferred to the Bibliotheca Apostolica Vaticana in Rome.
The Library of the Seminary formerly contained a white marble bust of Henry, sculpted by Agostino Penna. The bust is now in the episcopal palace in Frascati, La Rocca. 2 The pedestal on which the bust formerly stood remains in the Library. The Latin inscription on the pedestal reads as follows:
HENRICO DVCI EBORACENSI
1 Razza, 152 and 148.
2 Giuseppe Toffanello, Frascati: Civitas Tusculana, terza edizione (Frascati: Edizione Tuscolo, 1966), 139.
2 Amy Vitteleschi, A Court in Exile (London: Hutchison, 1903), II, 435.
Image 1 (Inscription in anteroom): © Noel S. McFerran 2004.
Image 2 (Chasuble of Henry, Cardinal Duke of York): © Noel S. McFerran 2004.
Image 3 (Coat-of-arms of Henry, Cardinal Duke of York): © Noel S. McFerran 2004.
Image 4 (Chasuble of Henry, Cardinal Duke of York): © Noel S. McFerran 2004.
Image 5 (Coat-of-arms of Henry, Cardinal Duke of York): © Noel S. McFerran 2004.
Image 6 (Chapel): © Noel S. McFerran 2004.
Image 7 (Rear of the chapel): © Noel S. McFerran 2004.
Image 8 (Chapel inscription): © Noel S. McFerran 2004.
Image 9 (Library): © Noel S. McFerran 2004.
Image 10 (Bust base): © Noel S. McFerran 2004.